Razor Knife Drawing Blood Effect

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

Razor Knife Drawing Blood Effect

Post by El Brenty »

Okay, how do they do that? Ever seen the film "No Man's Land" about these Porsche-stealing car stealers? Well, there's a scene when this dude gets handcuffed, and some other dude draws a razor knife over the back of his hand, and loads of blood oozes out as he does it! YUK! It's awful! So how'd ya do it? Dudes, Blood, Knives, Guns, Cars - Definetly a Dude's film!!:cool:

If no-one comes up with a sensible suggestion, I'll just have to invent a method and post it here!:P

[Edited on 19-7-2003 by CamClub]
Moderating behind the bushes!
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Put a small strip of sponge on the edge of the blade. Soak this in blood, and run it along the neck (or other desired body part). Blood should follow and run down... yeah...
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

YUK, That sounds really good. Nice one!However just to add some more difficulty, (Purely because that seemed too easy for y'all), how about extending the blade first from the knife and then drawing it across the hand??? HAH! Gotcha there!

Does anyone read black on black text? "Poo! Fart Bum!" Anyone Remember Anget X on the Sinclair Spectrum? Look at the loading screen, and change the ink colour! HA HA HA!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Tape a hose to the off camera side of the knife, and as you are running it across the hand have somebody off cam or the actor, depends on the shoot, squese it out. You can get a good effect with this, I have seen it done in many Boy Scout ceremonys.
Faldor

Post by Faldor »

Originally posted by CamClub
Does anyone read black on black text? "Poo! Fart Bum!" Anyone Remember Anget X on the Sinclair Spectrum? Look at the loading screen, and change the ink colour! HA HA HA!
Yes, yes they do. ;)
"I know you're gonna be right, and you haven't even said anything yet! Oh there you go...I was too slow with this reply, but I still agree with you" - Ornsack
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

LOL! I have been rumbled Faldor! :D
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Originally posted by CamClub
However just to add some more difficulty, (Purely because that seemed too easy for y'all), how about extending the blade first from the knife and then drawing it across the hand??? HAH! Gotcha there!
Uhhh, this is what we have cuts for. We use multiple camera angles! :D
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Uhhh, this is what we have cuts for. We use multiple camera angles!
No, no, no, I meant that the first solution just seemed too easy - not comlicated enough - Needed a slightly higher-tech solution!
Grant

Post by Grant »

The strength of all techniques are in the basics :P
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Okay, so far, Foxwood wins the "Best idea yet" prize!

Anyone ever seen those little plastic bottles of fake blood they sell at Halloween made by "Fun Makers"?

I used to sell them - You can slip a tube onto the nozzle of the bottle. The bottle is held against the knife body, with the tube taped to the blade (Well done again Foxwood!). As you draw the knife, squeeze the bottle!

You can get these bottles of blood from party shops, and tubeing from pet shops, or some DIY stores. The blood stains frabric though! (I know this cuz the little buggers brought their parents in after Halloween to moan about how they had to throw the clothes away cuz of all the unwashable staining - Oh yeah, and that little girl who had huge stains all around her mouth! HA HA HA! Serve her right for pulling the witch broom display over!)
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I wish I could take credit for coming up with that idea, but they used if in the blood sharing ritual in the Boy Scouts order of the Arrow, and from a distance it looks damn real.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Well, I'll rephrase that then!
Well done to the Boy Scouts Order Of The Arrow (and their nuclear reactors!!!), and to Foxwood for remembering it!