Plates that you can bust over heads

Stunts and physical effects not involving computer generation

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

I J Walton

Plates that you can bust over heads

Post by I J Walton »

Howdy peeps. My latest project requires a slapstick fight in a resturant, so you guessed it, a lot of plates will get smashed.

My question is; does anyone know how to make plates that break easily without harming actors (kind of like shugar glass but for plates)? I cant find any info on the net.

Thanks
Ian.
http://members.fortunecity.com/dustyfilms/
Grant

RE: Plates that you can bust over heads

Post by Grant »

well buy thin plates from a bargian shop and hit on the top of the actors head and they should easily smash
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Paint some sugar glass plates.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Go to greek restaurant they smash plates, they might even let you film there
Father_McGrueder

Post by Father_McGrueder »

Unfired pottery. Greenware, I believe it's called.
I J Walton

Post by I J Walton »

Thanks for the replies guys. "unfired pottery" i've heared of this method, I will look into it, thanks.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Bleh, just hit them with a real plate. Tell them not to be such a baby, and the glass will come out of their head eventually.. :bonk:
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
Grant

Post by Grant »

yes square on the top of the forehead(popular weapon of a headbutter) and avoid the face
wildabeast009

Post by wildabeast009 »

I wouldn't try breaking it over thier head for as desribed above, unless you are trained to do it, simply because, if it is not done right it could cause serious damage to the actor/stuntman, especially to the eyes. I would suggest to "pre-break" the plates and glue them back together with wood glue. I haven't tried this yet, but it should work. Still, it could hurt the actor, but it wouldn't require as much force to break the plate. There might not be as many shards also.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Hey, im new to the forum but have been reading it for years...anyway to cut to the chase i would buy drywall plaster (i suppose plaster of paris might work too). mix it up with the right amount of water (the consistency of peanut butter) and then add baking soda to it. im not sure of the ratio so u'll have to experiment but it makes it have tiny air bubbles that make it weak. then put it in a mold for a plate. ive tried it before to make chunks break apart but im not sure how it'll work as a plate. Good Luck!
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Welcome to the forum, sounds like a pretty good idea, but the baking soda might not be necessary, plaster of paris is pretty weak, especially if it's only a plate sized thickness.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

if you mix the right amount of flour and water till its kinda water and kinda think and then i guess you can just poor it on the concrete or make molds like pancakes and when they are done paint it with a nice gloss and it should break easily....
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

wildabeast009 wrote:I wouldn't try breaking it over thier head for as desribed above, unless you are trained to do it, simply because, if it is not done right it could cause serious damage...
Most experts in this area are often seriously injured. Especially crushing hard objects atop the noggin sometimes results with a concussion.
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

Unfired pottery is the best method, most safest too, Looking for 'thin plates' is rediculous and can be very dangerous, Greenware is indeed what you need, thats what the use for break away props that are non glass in films nowadays. Look great, and for vases you can paint and varnish them easily. Aslong as you have some good sound effects, your away. Sugarglass will work fine aswell, aslong as its heavily painted.
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'